I love going to the spa.
But they cost money. And time. So today I offer you mommies an alternative to a relaxing spa day.
1. Yoga Swap – Instead of a quiet room with incense, swap out your living spaces. Move from a high lunge crescent form when trying to stop the basketball from careening into the brand new glass candle into a downward facing dog pose while cleaning up all the glass from the floor as a result of your inadequate crescent form. Chant “om” deeply to find your Zen.
2. Pedicure Swap – Instead of an oversized bowl with a stranger at your feet, swap out your kids bathtub. Sweet talk your dirty angel into the tub by promising to put your overtired feet in the tub with them. Remarkably, at a young age, this is a huge selling point. Sit tub-side with your feet soaking while your darling one splashes and plays. You may leave a little wetter than you would from a traditional pedicure, but this version will be far more entertaining.
3. Deep Tissue Massage Swap – Instead of a warmed bed with fluffy blankets, swap out your living room floor. Lay face down (carefully). Invite your children to walk on your back. There is definitely an age/weight limit where you leave this exercise alive. I recommend ages 2 – 4 unless you are very small people. They run and skip and jump with glee. You have provided entertainment and the knots your back were literally stomped out.
4. Facial Swap – Instead of a private room with a facial steamer, swap out your stove. While making dinner, boil some water. Then throw in the broccoli you’re making the children in order to offset the parental guilt you feel from serving them chicken nuggets. Place your face over the pot while the steam rises. Inhale deeply. Let your skin soak in the steam for 3 to 4 minutes. At the end, they have vegetables and you look five years younger (well, probably five days younger, but a girl can dream while inhaling broccoli steam).
5. Body Wrap Swap – Instead of being cocooned and mummified in private, swap out your kids bed. When it’s bedtime, promise a “visit” to entice them to their room. Climb into their little twin bed and wrap the two of you up as tightly as you can in their pirate comforter or football oversized plush throw. Visit. Accidentally fall asleep. When you wake up and unwrap, you’ll be happier than you have ever been leaving a spa.